Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 02, 2009

    American Icon 1918-2009

    Paul Harvey passed from this world on February 28th, 2009, in a hospital in Phoenix, AZ, near his summer home. He was surrounded by his family when he left this plane of existence.

    If you are one of the rare few who has never heard of him*, Paul Harvey was America's most beloved and well known radio personality. He popularized the idea of the 10pm news, and through his creativity and conversational style, captivated a nation for generations.

    Though we never met, he had a profound impact on my life; my strange mix of extremely conservative thoughts & ideals, mixed with staunch support of personal freedoms for all individuals, I learned from him through my radio.

    Paul Harvey was an integral part of my childhood, and my favorite, and surely the most entertaining teacher I have ever had. A pillar of integrity, he never endorsed a product that he didn't personally believe in, and he taught me, by example, how to live many of the things that I still hold and value to this day; strength of will, assurance, trust, courteousy, manners, and always calmly yet firmly standing up for what you believe in, no matter the consequences.

    I still think of him every week, and always will.

    I am sad for the loss that all Americans have suffered by his passing. I had always hoped that my children would learn to love him as I have.

    I offer my sincerest condolences to his family during this tough time, and my most heartfelt thanks to them for sharing this wonderful man with the rest of us.

    The world is truly an emptier place without him.

    *For more information on the soft-spoken man who helped to shape our nation, one story at a time, visit his website.

    No comments: