Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, June 09, 2006

    Grandparents, Errands With Friends, restaurant, Crab Rangoon Recipe, Deity in Food, Spamblogger

    Very late last night my grandfather was rushed to the hospital and placed in the ICU. He was delirious and didn't know what day it was. Seems the DR. Had put him on a new med and he'd had a bad reaction. He also had a bladder infection so bad that the infection had leached into his bloodstream, and was dehydrated. The hospital called my grandmother and asked for his living will. I spent the whole day alternating between worrying, being a total bitch, and crying uncontrollably. I really have to get with him and videotape him telling some of his stories... *sigh* After we got home for the day, I called my mom and my grandmother to find out that he is feeling much better, the hospital has him on IV fluids and antibiotics, he ate breakfast and lunch, and is now coherent. He's really gotta stop scaring us like that. I ordered my grandmother to make sure that he gets his cranberry extract pills every day from now on no matter how much he claims he doesn't need them anymore because he doesn't have bladder infections anymore. *sigh* I don't order my grandparents at all, ever, but this was serious!

    As for the rest of the day, we picked up B and drove him to pick up his check at walmart (his bank is there), trade in a board game at Metagames, and run a couple of errands. Shopping at walmart drives me crazy because of all of the sheeple alternatively pushing to get through or walking at such a slow pace that I can't believe they are still breathing! Gods I hate that place, but my bank's there too...

    We couldn't find an acceptable implement of yard destruction at walmart so we went to home depot and found some really neat looking goodies, which Keebler and B spent about 15 minutes swinging around like they were weaponry (double duty tools rock!) I ended up buying Keebler a couple of combination garden claw / hoes for hand tilling the garden because it'll cost about $90 to rent the kind of tiller we need for just 2 hours, or $600 to buy one outright. I really don't have that kind of cash, so we're doing it by hand. It may be rootbound and nearly as hard as creosote to dig in, but at least it's a relatively small patch of ground. There's a running joke now about how I bought Keeb a couple of hoes, and how Ladybug got to use them before he did. *laugh* We can be so dirty. *snicker*

    After stopping in at Metagames where B insisted upon buying us some new PS238 and Nodwick comics, we decided to go out for Chinese food. We chose Jade East as our destination as we could count on them to have good food and decent service. Or so we thought. We went in to prepay for our food (looks like the gas crunch is hitting more than the local gas stations with "run offs"). I thought it was a strange note to see on the door, but whatever works, right? So we're trying to pay for our meal while the waitress is asking us what we want to drink. Very distracting. We all order tea. After we pay and sign the payment receipt, she tells us that she doesn't have "enough tea". I don't know why she was being snarky with us, but I was NOT in the mood. It's her flaming job to keep the tea caraffe full, but somehow, she has managed to run out. So Keeb asks her to substitute the girls' teas for a lemon-lime soda in an effort to get me a tea, as I want either tea or water. (Remember, I have paid for 4 sodas/teas.) She assumes that he wants her to give me lemon lime soda as well and brings three sodas (one with no ice, at least she got that part right) to the table and one iced tea for Keebler. (B had ordered separately.) So now she's not only not paying attention to her job, but she's also not listening to the customer. I ask her what the seemingly bubbling water is in front of me and she tells me (snarkily) it is soda. I was not hungry anyway, and I definitely don't deserve this sort of treatment, I don't care how her day has been, so I tell my family that we are going to get our money back and not eat. We can sit & chat while B eats his meal, but this female doesn't deserve my money, nor does a place that employs attitudes like hers. We go up to ask for our money back (we have touched no food or drink from the place) and she comes up and starts yapping about how she did nothing wrong and she did what she was told, and nobody should be blaming her, and so forth ad nauseum. I tried to calm her, telling her that nobody was accusing her of anything and that she should just relax, but maybe I sounded a bit harsh or something? (remember the bad mood?) because she just kept on yelling at me. I turned my back on her and said to the cashier that the service people don't seem very friendly and I would prefer to dine elsewhere. She kept yelling even after that, but the cashier put his hand up at her like "enough" and she shut up quick. I kept my back turned the whole time my refund was processed and did not look at her again at all for the rest of the time we were inside the restaurant. Even that ended up not being for long, as B decided that he didn't want to eat there if we weren't going to be eating. He had already filled a plate with food by the time I had my refund and he knew what was happening, so he let them keep his money. I think he is too mind sometimes, as I NEVER pay for that which I do not receive, but I guess that's just the way he is, and looking back upon it, I can see a bit of the logic behind it, as there was soda dispensed and food taken off of the buffet and the business shouldn't reasonably have to suffer because of one bitchy employee... But I have no doubt in my mind that she will be getting fired or severely reprimanded very shortly. I'm surprised with the scene she was throwing that more customers didn't just get up and leave with us. *smirk* Jade East used to be one of our favorite restaurants, but now it'll be a VERY long time before we return there, if ever we do so at all.

    Created homemade lo mein & real crab meat crab rangoon for dinner, as we all still wanted Chinese. The rangoon were amazing! B took some home to his roommate, and when we got back home, we gave the rest of the pot of lomein and the rangoon to the neighbors.

    K's Amazing Crab Rangoon Recipe (makes 30)
    8oz cream or neufatchel cheese
    1/2 package wanton wraps (30)
    meat from 4 crab legs
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 pinch Greek seasoning
    boiling oil
    Stir with fork, mashing thoroughly, drop by the 1/2 teaspoon onto wanton wraps and pinch securely shut. Drop in boiling oil for about 3-5 minutes. Drain and serve.

    For dessert we had "seedless" watermelon. It was delicious, and had the added bonus of having the image of the Horned One in the flesh of the melon. And I thought I would never see deity in my dinner! *laugh* First time for everything I suppose. *chuckle* See his little horned head, arms, & legs? I set the girls to digging up the yard while we cooked dinner, and when we went to take our friend home, and it was a pretty mangled yard I viewed. Looks like it'll be a relatively simple job to rip it all up over the next couple of days. I have a mild sunburn from driving around all day.

    Blogger thinks I'm a spamblogger because I posted a bunch of links to references about a post I made a while ago. I have to enter in a random word every time I post, every time I edit a post, every time I save a draft, and sometimes when I try to add a photo to the post. It's a real pain in my rear, so I haven't been blogging as much as I usually would. It just makes everything more difficult. *sigh* Add the word verification for everything to the fact that their automated system ALSO takes me off of the "next blog" feature AND the "recently updated blogs" listing on the home page, and I'm missing a LOT of hits because of their automated system. Of course, as their help file said, programs are bound to make mistakes, but this has been going on for a while now (almost 2 weeks?), and I already requested to have my blog reviewed by a real human twice (once a week), but nothing has happened as of yet. I'm not saying bad junk about blogger. Forbid if I did that, they're the best free blogging site on the net (IMHO), and I know they are really busy folks, but still, those facts don't make this any less annoying. Maybe if I were a touch-typer or something, but I have to look at the screen, then keyboard for every single mangled letter in the letter jumble for the word verification. Sometimes I get it wrong too. It's just a real pain. Of course with my luck, today will be the day when someone finally looks at my blog themselves and they will see me griping about the problem and get mad at me... *sigh* I hope when they finally do take me off of spamblogger status that they make it so the spam watcher doesn't look at me anymore. I mean heck, I may have a desire at some point to post 10 links in a post again someday...

    The evening ended up being decent, and even somewhat fun. I just wish the day preceding it hadn't been so darned hard. One of these days I'll get to bed before 3am too. *sigh*

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    "Very late last night my grandfather was rushed to the
    hospital and placed in the ICU. He was delirious and didn't know what day it was.

    After we got home for the day, I called my mom and my grandmother to find out that he is feeling much
    better."

    * That's good. I'll just bet THAT was scary. *hugs*

    "I ended up buying Keebler a couple of combination garden claw /
    hoes for hand tilling the garden."

    * We had a garden claw once. For us, it didn't work as well as the TV ad, but that's pretty normal. It was about 8 years ago.

    "Jade East used to be one of our favorite restaurants, but now it'll be a VERY long time before we return there, if ever we do so at all."

    * Wow, so sorry to hear you had such a BAD experience there. Sounds like you weren't the only one in a bad mood. -hugs-

    "Blogger thinks I'm a spamblogger because I posted a bunch of links to references about a post I made a
    while ago."

    * Oh wow, I didn't even know they had a link limit in posts. Is it in the terms of service? Anyway, hopefully they'll get that taken
    care of soon. Seems you need a lot of hugs today, so *HUGS*

    "The evening ended up being decent, and even somewhat fun."

    * Glad to hear that the day ended on a good note! Very nice :-)

    Rambleman