Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 02, 2009

    Getting Comfortable is Dangerous Business

    I've long said that getting comfortable is dangerous.

    At least for me.

    While it might be my paranoia and depression talking, it seems that every time I get comfortable, something truly annoying happens to disrupt our lives, often in a pretty massive way.

    In our last apartment, it was that after three years, we had to move out because, as our landlord said "your children deserve a better place to play, with more room, that's safer"... Not that we hadn't been there happily for three years at that point, but, he thought we deserved better, so he kicked us out on our ears. We ad gotten quite comfortable with our location, neighbors, and our little garden...

    But it was not to last.

    We had finally settled into this apartment and gotten everything set up the way I'd like when we had the Clifton incident, and things went to hell again.

    And it's not just a recent development. When I was a child, every time I got comfortable enough in a home that I managed to start making friends with the neighbor kids, my mother would move, and we'd start over.

    So I've earned this paranoia, but I just can't seem to manage to not get comfortable, not become relaxed in a place, so it just keeps happening.

    Every single time, without question.

    If I feel at ease, something will happen to screw up our lives.

    So, less than two weeks after the owner of our current management company gave me permission to start a garden..... We've been asked to move out of our apartment. It seems that the owner of the property has decided that they need to kick everyone out of their homes so that they can remodel the places and raise the rent sky-high for upscale yuppies.

    Yes, we live in the downtown area. No, we didn't expect this, even though we probably should have with all of the high-dollar rentals going up all over the place.

    And I've been looking around and discovered that everything currently available for rent, that we can legally live in as a family of three, is FAR too expensive for us to afford.

    One of these days, maybe I'll learn to just stay on edge and scared all the time, for the sake of my family's stability, but is that really a way to raise the children?

    I can't help but think that if I hadn't allowed myself to become comfortable, this wouldn't have happened...

    For now, I need to find a storage unit, and pack up the things that we simply must keep. Everything else gets sold, bartered, or given away.


    Oh, did I mention that The Radish is closed now too?

    Yeah, I became an active part of the daily goings-on, then got comfortable with it. *sigh*

    No comments: