Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 23, 2007

    Feeling a Bit of Affluenza


    I went against it all, and looked at the Black Friday sales ads for the first time in my life. But I looked online, in order to save both time and paper from the ads I never care to keep, so that makes it better, right? *sheepish grin*

    It is amusing to see what folks wake up at 3am for these days, whereas I simply haven't been to bed yet 'cause our visit with friends was so great, we stayed WAY too long. *chuckle* First showing of a new a movie I can understand standing in line for several hours for, but the vague possibility of a random goody at half-off if you are one of the first 100 people at the door? Nah, I can wait for the other loss-leader sales that happen at other times throughout they year.

    If I'm desperate for a particular item, I have learned that I can likely buy online, without leaving the house, days before the sales start in the stores, possibly even having it in my grubby little hands with free two-day shipping several days before everyone else has a chance at it. Not that we have the cash to pull that off this year, but still, it's nice to know we could if we wanted to, had the money, and actually needed something that was going to be some sort of amazing, once-in-a-lifetime kind of deal.

    Not likely though, everything that goes on sale today is some sort of frivolous non-necessity. I know, I looked. *wink*

    There's lots of stuff we'd just love to have, if we suffered from Affluenza, and lived like what seems like 90% of the American public. But throwing ourselves deep into hawk to get pretty little possessions that will just weigh us down so we can look cool and have the neatest new gadgets, isn't how we like to live.

    We'll spend this Buy Nothing Day the same way we always do. At home, with family, spending time together; laughing, singing, and eating leftovers. For one day a year, we consume nothing except for utilities and leftover food. "cept this year, I'll also be making phone calls around to apartments, always on the hunt.

    May you have a joyous and loving anti-consumerist holiday.

    Happy Buy Nothing Day!

    I am a participant in NaBloPoMo.

    *"Protest Turkey" was completely hand-drawn with a mini optical mouse in Paint Shop Pro 11/06. "Protest Turkey" is about 7x8 inches and took 30 minutes from start to finish.

    Technorati Tags: Del.icio.us Tags: Flickr Tags: Furl Tags:

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Amen!

    TwoSquareMeals said...

    I found you through the Buzz and am loving your blog! We, too, stay clear of anything remotely like consumerism on "Black Friday." It is a black day, indeed, in every way that is bad for America.

    Anonymous said...

    oh girl I'm with ya! I stayed in my pj's and decorated the house. I spend a little more on oragnic items that I know are good for my families well being but I don't really need to get 50% off of any little junky stuff at 4:00am. My girls all ready have too much stuff that we get free from hand-me downs...I am always getting rid of stuff.
    Came over from the Buzz...