Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, June 07, 2006

    Another Use For a Pickle Bucket & Feeling Buggy

    We washed about 6 loads of laundry by hand using pickle buckets, a plunger, and a thrice rinse system recycling water at every turn. We only used about 15 gallons of water in the process. We also repotted several plants, hung another tomato plant in it's final spot, and cleaned a bit.

    Actually, I'm still doing laundry right now, and will continue to do so even as we sleep! *chuckle*

    There is some sort of invasion by HUGE roaches going on in my neighborhood. Massive roaches who aren't afraid to fly. These are just really gross to look at, as I hate roaches. Here's what we are dealing with: http://www.pestproducts.com/asian_cockroach.htm (I looked it up) 2" light addicted southeastern roaches with black stripes who can easily fly up to 150 feet who are up here from Florida and Georgia because of the high temperatures and wet weather. These massive insects are invading my home at random when the kids leave the doors open at night. My first experience with one of these nasty things was when I saw one CrAWliNg on me! *gag* They seem to be breeding on a nearby tree. They're just as annoying and stupid as junebugs, but uglier.

    Maybe they got here the same way the Army Worms did by traveling on the high winds we got from the south earlier this spring?

    Not that I really care how they got here, I'm buying some diatomaceous earth tomorrow and tossing it EVERYWHERE!!!

    At least I've put down cornmeal for the worms and haven't had much problem with them. (likely because I knew how to combat them naturally and applied the method before infestation happened in my yard/garden) Army worms are one-eighth inch to about two inches long and an infestation can strip an entire field to the ground overnight. http://www.armywormwine.com At least somebody likes them! At least they aren't native to this area. Yet. Damned global warming *growl*

    And I thought alligator snappers were bad!

    Yes, we have has these here in Missouri for the last 8 years...

    They get twice as big as this, maybe more...

    And everyone's seen a squashed armadillo on the highway by now.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    i got to your blog from the freethinking-unschoolers list. and i had to laugh that you linked to the army worm wine site. since i'm from Duluth and all the weirdos pretty much know one another, i sorta know the guy. i've even tried the stuff--wouldn't necessarily recommend it to actually DRINK--but it's a lovely novelty to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. :P

    Anonymous said...

    "Actually, I'm still doing laundry right now, and will continue to do so even as we sleep! *chuckle*"

    * Wow, you're much more motivated to do something like that then we'll ever be (unless of course the electricity goes out for a long time). Good job :-)

    "There is some sort of invasion by HUGE roaches going on in my neighborhood."

    * Please keep them there! We don't want no stinkin' giant, flying roaches! -g-

    "Army worms are one-eighth inch to about two inches long and an infestation can strip an entire field to the ground overnight."

    * Don't want any of these either! :-)

    "And everyone's seen a squashed armadillo on the highway by now."

    * Yeah, a time or three.

    "(bug warning) Pictures:"

    * Yep, those look pretty nasty! Haven't seen any snappers THAT big here, but I'm sure they're in the area. Yikes! :-)

    Rambleman