Ever So Tweetly

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, May 19, 2006

    Rabbit Breeding : Explicit Fillm Warning

    Okay, now I buy into the whole antisocial rabbit thing. *chuckle* Since he is in such good condition, and I was informed that bunnies don't want to say hi, but to breed and leave, I decided to forgoe the week of "getting to know eachother" and let them breed. It was the funniest thing in the world to watch hum squeak and roll off of her so quick, but I had to hold her while they bred to keep her from trying to eat him. I had no idea she could be so agressive. I had to hold her still so that she would accept the breeding without trying to kill him. Then again, she may have thought of the rabbit run as "hers" too, so that could explain it a bit. Next breeding, I may just take them outside. That HAS to be a "neutral territory" methinks... Of course I wonder if it is normal for a female to growl like that, even on her second day of breeding. I'm thinking it may because the first set took and she is already pregnant? I dunno, but they only bred once today. I hope it took, now all we have to do is treat her well and wait. She got lots fo petts and her favorite treats right after the breeding sessions. I can't imagine it was a pleasant experience for her with her trying to bits and such. She seems okay now though. I hope her biting at him a tiny bit before the breeding doesn't turn him from the act, I've heard it can happen in a buck's first few breedings if the doe is older and/or agressive, but then, as I've been told probably hundreds of times by now, there is a LOT of misinformation out there on the net about breeding rabbits. *laugh*



    We're trying the literbox thing for her a bit differently this time, putting the litterbox under an area of her cage so she won't argue with me when it is time to change the litter. This video is of her royal stubbornness arguing with me over how her cage should look. *laugh* I swear, I have never seen a rabbit with such personality before in my life!

    It will likely be less disturbing to her and her kits that way when she has them. I'm also getting her a sifting feed hopper and making her a hay bale holder for her grasses. Took the nesting box out of her cage until she gets closer to time to litter so she doesn't foul it. We may just end up getting her a new box anyway, because when I made the box, it was before we got her and I thought she would be a bit smaller than she is. It needs a higher lip on the box to keep the kits inside of it when they are born before they start hopping around on their own.

    We've to moved him to a different area of the room so she isn't overly stressed by his presence too, just in case that might be an issue. I had to put a fan on them today because we are trying not to turn on the air conditioner and it was really humid and close to 90 degrees today. Kinda makes ya wonder where spring went doesn't it?

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    When we had rabbits, the male rabbit we had didn't roll off like that. Leave it to us to have weird bunnies. -grin-

    Rambleman